An invention or a utility model can imply the result of any human intellectual activity in any technological sphere that finds its expression in the tangible objects or processes (technologies).
A patent is a governmental authorisation which gives the owner with an exclusive right to allow or prohibit the use of the technical solution during the entire term of the patent validity that in fact establishes the legal monopoly. Patenting is an efficient tool of protection against the illegal use of the invention by the other persons.
In Ukraine as an invention (utility model) can be:
- a product (device, substance, microorganism strain, plant or animal cells culture etc.);
- a process (method) as well as the novel use of a known product or process.
According to the Law, the legal protection shall not extend to such technology objects: plant varieties and animal breeds; processes of the reproduction of plants and animals that are biological in its basis and do not belong to non-biological and microbiological processes; topographies of integrated circuits; results of art constructing.
- An invention meets the patentability requirements provided that it is new, involves an inventive step and is industrially applicable.
- An utility model meets the patentability requirements provided that it is new and industrially applicable.
Patenting inventions in Ukraine takes about 2-3 years the utility model – 12 months.
Time Limits for Entering National Phase under PCT – 31 months (from the priority date).
Patent protection is granted for 20 years from the filing date of the application.
Protection for a utility model is granted for 10 years from the filing date.
We can assist you in any IP-related matters in Ukraine as well as in Belarus, Georgia, Russia and Kazakhstan.
We offer the following services:
- Inventions and utility models patenting in Ukraine and in other countries;
- Entering into the Ukrainian national phase (PCT national phase in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan);
- Patentability research, Freedom-to-operate analysis;
- Litigation, Analysis of the perspectives of the criminal or administrative prosecution for the violation of rights on inventions and utility models;
- Transfer IP rights, licensing, franchising (drafting agreements and registration);
- Other services referring to the inventions and utility models.
Phone: +380664143715 or +380673275513
Address: 4/6-a Ioanna Pavla II Str., office 620, Kyiv, 01042, Ukraine